Do I need photographer insurance?

Estimated read time 5 min read

Professional photography is a unique and demanding profession. Whether you’re working outdoors, getting creative behind your computer, or discussing a clients’ needs, TruShield has you covered.

Professional photography businesses, like any business, can be exposed to risk and potential financial losses. If you’re looking for a way to protect your photography business against risks specific to the profession, you could be wondering what type of coverage you need. TruShield can help answer questions like, “what are the main risks professional photographers face,” “what are the reasons for getting photographer insurance,” and “what types of insurance should I consider.”

Why do photographers need insurance?

Risks are present in every business including professional photography. Commercial insurance is intended to help businesses mitigate the losses they may face due to the risks they’re exposed to. Below are a few types of risk photographers deal with while working:

Damage to your property:

Photography businesses use expensive equipment, which can be very costly to replace if lost or damaged. Because photographers often travel for work and can work in inclement weather, their equipment may be damaged. Many photographers also maintain studio space in their homes or elsewhere. This introduces further risk, as there are additional assets involved and more potential hazards such as flood and fire.

Damage to the property of others

When doing their work, if a photographer damages property belonging to a client or a third party, they may have to cover the cost of repairing or replacing the damaged item. This is especially relevant to professional photographers because they can often be in other people’s homes and other off-site facilities. They could, for example, knock over a vase or lamp while setting up their equipment or scratch the floors while moving equipment around.

Injury to a client or other third party

Cords, cables, gear bags, tripods, and lighting equipment all pose tripping hazards. When you combine those with various people moving around in a restricted space, there are many opportunities for trip-and-fall injuries. Even unusual events, such allergic reactions to makeup applied by the photographer’s team, have the potential to turn into a lawsuit.

Errors and Omissions

If a photographer makes a mistake, such as delivering the wrong images or accidentally missing an event, they may incur financial losses.

Cybersecurity risks

Photography businesses store large amounts of data, including client information, payment details, and intellectual property. Cyberattacks can lead to client information being stolen, as well as the photographer’s work. Misappropriation of a photographer’s photographs can lead to immeasurable damage to both clients and photographer.

Note that other risks may be involved if a photographer uses drones in their work, as is common with real estate photography. Photography businesses need to consider these risks separately and ensure they are covered for the types of damage a drone can cause if something goes wrong.

What insurance do I need as a photographer?

Photographers have varying insurance needs, depending on the type of work they do and where they do it. A few common types of insurance that professional photographers may want to consider are:

Commercial general liability insurance

This type of insurance protects you and your business against claims by third parties if bodily injuries or property damage result from your business operations. For example, some photography lights can get quite hot, and if one starts a fire and damages 3rd party property, commercial general liability insurance could cover your legal fees and the cost of repairs to the property.

Commercial auto insurance

If you use a vehicle to travel to and from work sites, you may want to consider commercial auto insurance. If you only have personal auto insurance and get into an accident using your vehicle for business purposes, your claim may be denied.

Commercial property insurance

Consider commercial property insurance if you have a physical location for your business, such as a studio or office. This type of insurance can safeguard the structures you use during the operation of your photography business, your outdoor space (such as gardens and gazebos), and items inside the premises. Should you suffer an insured loss, commercial property insurance can assist in paying for repairs or replacements and can help get your business up and running again if you had  to close it down as a result of the damages. If your policy has business interruption coverage, it can also provide financial support during temporary closures.

Cyber insurance

Cyber insurance can help mitigate damage if your computers and files are hacked by malicious actors. If you lose sensitive client information or your work product is stolen, cyber insurance can help remediate the losses.

How much does photographer insurance cost?

The cost of photographer insurance in Canada varies depending on several factors, including the coverage you want and whether you operate a studio at your home or elsewhere. Try our quote tool for an indication of how much it would cost to protect your commercial photography business.

How to get photographer insurance

Photographer insurance is an essential part of protecting your small business. With the proper insurance, you can start, run, and grow your business without worrying about the inherent risks.

As an insurance provider specializing in insurance for small business entrepreneurs, you can be confident that TruShield Insurance understands the needs of your business. With us, you’ll have access to a claims support team 24/7, risk management resources, exclusive customer perks, and access to Legal Assist.

Don’t leave your professional photography business exposed. Call us today at 1.844.429.9480 or access our quote tool!

This blog is provided for information only and is not a substitute for professional advice. We make no representations or warranties regarding the accuracy or completeness of the information and will not be responsible for any loss arising out of reliance on the information.

The post Do I need photographer insurance? appeared first on TruShield Insurance.

You May Also Like

More From Author

+ There are no comments

Add yours